Hurriyat hawk Geelani put under house arrest
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference
chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani was today put under house
arrest as authorities feared law and order problems due to his
presence at a Friday congregation.
A posse of policemen from Humhama police station
arrived at Geelani`s residence at Hyderpora in the wee hours
and informed him about the prohibitory orders on his movement,
official sources said.
They said there were apprehensions that Geelani might
visit Hazratbal, where a large congregation was expected for
Friday prayers on account of Shab-e-Meraj, which could lead to
law and order problems.
Police officials, however, refused to confirm or deny
Geelani`s house arrest.
A Hurriyat spokesman condemned the government`s move
of not allowing Geelani to offer Friday prayers.
Meanwhile, moderate faction of Hurriyat headed by
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said it will hold a peaceful procession
from Jamia Masjid to the graveyard at Naqshband Sahib in
downtown Srinagar on July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack