Hurriyat hawk Geelani put under house arrest
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference
chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani was today put under house
arrest as authorities feared law and order problems due to his
presence at a Friday congregation.
A posse of policemen from Humhama police station
arrived at Geelani`s residence at Hyderpora in the wee hours
and informed him about the prohibitory orders on his movement,
official sources said.
They said there were apprehensions that Geelani might
visit Hazratbal, where a large congregation was expected for
Friday prayers on account of Shab-e-Meraj, which could lead to
law and order problems.
Police officials, however, refused to confirm or deny
Geelani`s house arrest.
A Hurriyat spokesman condemned the government`s move
of not allowing Geelani to offer Friday prayers.
Meanwhile, moderate faction of Hurriyat headed by
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said it will hold a peaceful procession
from Jamia Masjid to the graveyard at Naqshband Sahib in
downtown Srinagar on July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof