Hurriyat leader Geelani, two aides detained
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani and two of his aides were detained on Sunday as they were leaving for Eidgah in the old city to pay tribute to over 100 youths killed during the 2010 agitation in Kashmir.
Geelani, Ayaz Akbar and Altaf Ahmad Shah were detained as they were leaving for Eidgah martyrs` graveyard to pay tribute to the youths killed during the 2010 summer agitation, a spokesman of the Hurriyat said.
Police said that the trio was taken to Humhama police station and lodged there.
They said Geelani and his aides were taken into preventive detention as their presence in the old city could have lead to disturbance of peace in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price