Hurriyat leader Geelani, two aides detained
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani and two of his aides were detained on Sunday as they were leaving for Eidgah in the old city to pay tribute to over 100 youths killed during the 2010 agitation in Kashmir.
Geelani, Ayaz Akbar and Altaf Ahmad Shah were detained as they were leaving for Eidgah martyrs` graveyard to pay tribute to the youths killed during the 2010 summer agitation, a spokesman of the Hurriyat said.
Police said that the trio was taken to Humhama police station and lodged there.
They said Geelani and his aides were taken into preventive detention as their presence in the old city could have lead to disturbance of peace in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic