Hurriyat leader to be quizzed for helping hawala dealer escape
Srinagar: Security agencies are probing the role of a senior Hurriyat leader in helping Nasir Safi Mir, alleged to be the `financial brain` behind the Hurriyat Conference and other separatist leaders, to flee the country after paying for a forged passport from a southern state.
According to sources in central security agencies, Mir, against whom a non-bailable warrant was issued last year, managed to flee the country using Nepal route from where he had used the forged passport procured with the help of a senior separatist leader in Kashmir.
The Hurriyat leader is alleged to have used the help of some over ground Hizb workers and got the passport made from a southern state, the sources said, adding Mir, who was
released on parole, reached Dubai after making a detour from Europe and Libya.
Mir was earlier arrested by Delhi Police in February 2006 while carrying Rs 55 lakh from a Delhi-based jeweller along with some explosives, but had jumped parole which he had got after several requests made by his family to a court citing medical problems.
Now investigators claim that some clues have emerged indicating that a senior Hurriyat leader had helped Mir with monetary help and some assistance from Hizbul Mujahideen
terrorist group to procure a passport from a southern state to ensure his quiet departure from the country.
The 39-year-old Dubai-based businessman, who owns carpet showroom and money exchange firms in Gulf, had been regularly reporting to the nearest police station till earlier October 2008, but after that he never turned up at the police station as well as at the court on the hearing date.
Mir, who was considered as a prize catch by the Delhi Police following a well-executed operation by central security agencies, was suddenly missing which prompted the court to
issue a non-bailable warrant against him.
Delhi Police had shown its inability to trace Mir, whom they had claimed was very much hiding within the country. There have been technical intercepts where Mir allegedly spoke to the separatist leadership after reaching Dubai.
A former Union cabinet minister had also taken up the case of the release of Mir with the government after Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq had put this as one of the
pre-conditions for entering into a dialogue.
According to the police files, Mir was last spotted publicly with the Mirwaiz at a five star hotel in south Delhi in September 2008.
During the interrogation, Mir had allegedly told police that the money was meant for the Mirwaiz and also claimed to have spilled beans about huge investments made by
the Hurriyat chairman in Dubai, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read