Hurriyat not against Amarnath yatra: Geelani
Srinagar: Chairman of hardline Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Friday said the separatist amalgam is not against the annual Amarnath Yatra but has certain genuine concerns with regard to the policies of Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB).
"Hurriyat is not against the yatra... We have always treated the pilgrims in a humane and friendly manner with traditional hospitality and this will continue in future as well," he said in a statement before he was detained by police.
Geelani was detained when he tried to leave his Hyderpora residence to offer Friday prayers at a local mosque in the outskirts of the city.
Hurriyat has certain "genuine concerns" with regard to the policies of the shrine board and wants to see the yatra to be carried out in a disciplined manner.
"Attempts are being made to give communal hue to our genuine concerns by showing that we are against the yatra, which is not true," he said and alleged that a conspiracy has been hatched to trigger communal violence in Jammu on the issue in an attempt to separate the region from Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red
- Tired of frequent dandruff problem? Try these home remedies!