Hurriyat not against Amarnath yatra: Geelani
Srinagar: Chairman of hardline Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Friday said the separatist amalgam is not against the annual Amarnath Yatra but has certain genuine concerns with regard to the policies of Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB).
"Hurriyat is not against the yatra... We have always treated the pilgrims in a humane and friendly manner with traditional hospitality and this will continue in future as well," he said in a statement before he was detained by police.
Geelani was detained when he tried to leave his Hyderpora residence to offer Friday prayers at a local mosque in the outskirts of the city.
Hurriyat has certain "genuine concerns" with regard to the policies of the shrine board and wants to see the yatra to be carried out in a disciplined manner.
"Attempts are being made to give communal hue to our genuine concerns by showing that we are against the yatra, which is not true," he said and alleged that a conspiracy has been hatched to trigger communal violence in Jammu on the issue in an attempt to separate the region from Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls