Hurriyat not against Amarnath yatra: Geelani
Srinagar: Chairman of hardline Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Friday said the separatist amalgam is not against the annual Amarnath Yatra but has certain genuine concerns with regard to the policies of Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board (SASB).
"Hurriyat is not against the yatra... We have always treated the pilgrims in a humane and friendly manner with traditional hospitality and this will continue in future as well," he said in a statement before he was detained by police.
Geelani was detained when he tried to leave his Hyderpora residence to offer Friday prayers at a local mosque in the outskirts of the city.
Hurriyat has certain "genuine concerns" with regard to the policies of the shrine board and wants to see the yatra to be carried out in a disciplined manner.
"Attempts are being made to give communal hue to our genuine concerns by showing that we are against the yatra, which is not true," he said and alleged that a conspiracy has been hatched to trigger communal violence in Jammu on the issue in an attempt to separate the region from Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened