Hurriyat postpones Srinagar rally
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference on Saturday postponed its proposed rally here tomorrow as its chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani was yet to be released from house detention.
"In view of the continuous detention of Syed Ali Geelani, the proposed public rally at Srinagar is postponed," Hurriyat Conference said in a statement here.
The Hurriyat said the authorities also denied permission for the rally and police has launched a crackdown on the leaders of the amalgam.
"Police has launched a hunt for Peer Saif Ullah and others and their houses are being raided and several party workers were arrested and lodged in police stations," it said.
Condemning the move, the Hurriyat said the rally would be organised soon after the release of Geelani.
"The party will announce new schedule for the public rallies in Srinagar and elsewhere. We appeal people to maintain peace and patience and avoid any attempts to march towards Srinagar," the statement said.
Geelani was placed under "house arrest" to scuttle his scheduled public meeting in Tral township of south Kashmir on December 4.
The separatist leader was released on October 29, this year after 235 days of house arrest. He was put under house arrest in March after he returned from Delhi.
Soon after he was released, Geelani addressed public rallies in Sopore, Shopian, Kupwara, Pulwama and Kulgam areas of the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan