Hurriyat rejects Omar`s offer
Srinagar: The hardline Hurriyat Conference on Sunday rejected Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s offer of a helicopter ride to ascertain the status of repairs on the track to the Amanrnath shrine, saying the move was an attempt to divert attention from the issue.
A team sent by the Hurriyat to survey the area had brought concrete evidence of building material that had been dumped in the area, an amalgam spokesman said in a statement here.
"What our team has seen on the ground can be seen while flying a helicopter," he said adding the helicopter ride offer by the Chief Minister was an attempt to divert attention from the issue.
The spokesman, while rejecting the Chief Minister’s offer, said the government should only lift the restrictions on Geelani’s movement.
"He (Geelani) will make his own arrangements to visit the area," the spokesman added.
Yesterday, the Chief Minister had said "we have two choppers, let him (Geelani) choose a day and go wherever he wants around the Amarnath shrine.
Then let him prove that a single meter of road length has been macadamized or any step has been taken that is harmful to environment."
On Thursday, Geelani had threatened to launch an agitation after Eid-ul Zuha against the alleged government plans to construct permanent facilities around the Amarnath shrine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog