Hurriyat website to check conversion in J&K
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat Conference
chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq today launched a website as part
of efforts by several religious bodies to check alleged
conversion of Kashmiri youths to Christianity.
The website, www.tahafuzeiman.org, was launched by the
Mirwaiz in his capacity as the president of Muttaheda Majlis
Ulema (United Council of Scholars).
Addressing the gathering of Islamic scholars and
preachers, the Mirwaiz stressed the need to use technology and
modern equipment for "countering conversion attempts".
Last month, a pastor was arrested on charges of
converting seven Kashmiri youths to Christianity after its
video clip went viral on social networking sites.
Following an outcry, Muslim leaders got together under
the banner of MMU and launched a campaign against conversions
Mirwaiz also said that while the Islamic system of Baitul
Maal (community fund) needed to be strengthened, serious
efforts have to be made for introduction of Islamic banking in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal