Hurriyat welcomes proposed reduction in troops in J&K
Srinagar: The moderate Hurriyat faction
on Friday welcomed the proposed reduction in troops in Jammu and
Kashmir as a "positive step", saying it will help in improving
the ground situation and create a conducive atmosphere for
composite dialogue to resolve the Kashmir issue.
"The statement of Union Home Secretary Gopal K Pillai
on reduction of troops is a positive step," Hurriyat chairman
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said addressing a Friday congregation at
Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar.
The Hurriyat has already proposed gradual withdrawal
of troops to commence from cities and thickly populated areas
for improving the ground situation and create conducive
atmosphere for a composite dialogue to resolve Kashmir, the
He said Hurriyat will welcome any step aimed at
reducing the tension between India and Pakistan which will
pave way for resolution of outstanding issues especially
"We understand that in the civilised world, dialogue
is the only way to address issues through peaceful means," he
The Mirwaiz said the upcoming meetings between Indian
and Pakistani foreign secretaries and foreign ministers is a
Other separatists, however, gave a guarded response.
"We will monitor the implementation process before
making a stand on the reduction of the troops," JKLF Chairman
Mohammad Yasin Malik said.
Democratic Freedom Party President Shabir Ahmad Shah
said, "We have heard similar announcements in the past but the
situation on the ground remained unchanged.
“If New Delhi is sincere and serious in its latest
announcement, we will welcome such a move," Shah said and
called for complete withdrawal of troops from the state.
"Only time will decide the sincerity of India," Shah
Addressing a seminar at Jamia Milia Islamia University
in New Delhi, Pillai today said, "As a confidence building
measure in Jammu and Kashmir, the strength of the security
forces would come down by 25 per cent. We would like to reduce
it as soon as possible depending on the ground situation."
The Mirwaiz said the situation and the historic facts
demand that "serious, fruitful and bold steps" are taken with
regard to Kashmir issue.
"Once the Kashmir issue is resolved in accordance with
the wishes and aspirations of the people of Kashmir, other
issues will get automatically addressed," the chair,an of the
moderate Hurriyat said.
He said the entire world supports dialogue between
the two nuclear powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark