Hurriyat’s strike call: Schools, govt offices remain open in Kashmir
Srinagar: Educational institutes and
government offices in Kashmir remained open on Wednesday inspite of
the strike call given by hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference, even as security forces were deployed in sensitive
areas to maintain law and order.
Shops and business establishments in the main markets in
Srinagar and other major towns of the valley remained closed
and public transport went off the roads in response to the
However, educational institutions including private
schools ignored the strike and witnessed near total
Work in government and semi-government offices, banks and
courts was also conducted smoothly but most of the private
offices remained closed, official sources said.
Barring a stone-pelting incident in uptown Srinagar, the
law and order situation in the valley remained peaceful.
A small group of youth pelted stones on the passing
vehicles at Natipora but they were chased away by police who
alongwith CRPF personnel were deployed in strength in the
area, the sources said, adding, nobody was hurt.
"There was no report of any other untoward incident
reported from anywhere so far," they said.
Kashmir valley has been in the grip of long spells of
shutdowns and curfews after protests over the killing of a
teenager in Srinagar on June 11 spilled over to other
districts of the valley.
Hardline Hurriyat led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, which
spearheads the agitation in the valley, had given a call for
shutdown today as part of its weekly protest calendar to press
for withdrawal of troops from Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?