IAF airlifts 313 stranded people
Srinagar: The Indian Air Force (IAF) today
airlifted 313 people of Kargil district who were stranded at
Leh and Srinagar as the AN32 courier service to Kargil could
not operate for the last two weeks due to inclement weather.
"As many as 171 passengers were airlifted from Leh to
Srinagar while 142 were flown from Srinagar to Leh in an IL-76
aircraft of the IAF," an official spokesman said.
The state government had requisitioned the aircraft from
IAF as the Kargil Courier Service, which is operated during
the winter months when the road to Ladakh is closed, could not
be operated due to heavy snowfall and inclement weather in
Kashmir and Kargil.
The passengers were taken to the Leh airport from Kargil
in State Road Transport Corporation buses as the IL-76
aircraft cannot land at Kargil airport, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next