IAF celebrates Air Force Day in Jammu
Jammu: IAF station here celebrated the 80th anniversary of the Air Force Day today with traditional pomp and splendour.
Air Commodore Prashanth Eknath Patange, Air officer commanding, Air Force Station Jammu, and all Principal Staff Officers of the station, laid wreaths and paid homage to the martyrs of the Indian Air Force.
An oath-taking ceremony was held thereafter, wherein all the personnel of the station took a solemn pledge to continue to serve the nation to the best of their ability.
Various activities were organised by the IAF station as part of the week-long celebrations which included static display of aircraft and equipment for school children of Jammu and a flight-safety poster competition.
A spokesman said, "The Air Force Station Jammu has a rich history and heritage. It is one of the oldest air bases of IAF, and the No 1 Wing was formed here on March 10, 1948." He said the wing operated from Srinagar during summers, and from Jammu during the winters.
"Helicopters have been the mainstay of Air Force Station Jammu. Initially Mi-4 helicopters, thereafter Chetaks and now Mi-17 helicopters of No 130 Helicopter Unit, operate in the most challenging environment of J&K," he said.
"Its tasks include round-the-year air maintenance of the Siachen glacier, the highest battlefield in the world," he said.
He said the station was in the forefront during the Kargil operations and plays crucial role of aiding frontline troops even today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31