IAF celebrates Air Force Day in Jammu
Jammu: IAF station here celebrated the 80th anniversary of the Air Force Day today with traditional pomp and splendour.
Air Commodore Prashanth Eknath Patange, Air officer commanding, Air Force Station Jammu, and all Principal Staff Officers of the station, laid wreaths and paid homage to the martyrs of the Indian Air Force.
An oath-taking ceremony was held thereafter, wherein all the personnel of the station took a solemn pledge to continue to serve the nation to the best of their ability.
Various activities were organised by the IAF station as part of the week-long celebrations which included static display of aircraft and equipment for school children of Jammu and a flight-safety poster competition.
A spokesman said, "The Air Force Station Jammu has a rich history and heritage. It is one of the oldest air bases of IAF, and the No 1 Wing was formed here on March 10, 1948." He said the wing operated from Srinagar during summers, and from Jammu during the winters.
"Helicopters have been the mainstay of Air Force Station Jammu. Initially Mi-4 helicopters, thereafter Chetaks and now Mi-17 helicopters of No 130 Helicopter Unit, operate in the most challenging environment of J&K," he said.
"Its tasks include round-the-year air maintenance of the Siachen glacier, the highest battlefield in the world," he said.
He said the station was in the forefront during the Kargil operations and plays crucial role of aiding frontline troops even today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!