IAF resumes rescue operations in J&K
Jammu: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Friday
resumed its rescue operations to airlift as many as 190 people
trapped in snow-hit Kishtwar district of the state.
Braving piercing snow waves and extreme cold conditions,
IAF`s MI-17 choppers were back to business after operations
remained suspended yesterday due to Republic Day.
"A fresh air rescue operation was launched by the
Jammu-based IAF`s 130 Helicopter Unit in Kishtwar district
since early this morning despite poor visibility, blowing snow
waves and minus 9 degrees Celsius (temperature)," defence
spokesman, Jammu, S N Acharya said.
He added that till now, over 40 passengers have been
airlifted and all of them are likely to be evacuated today.
The operations were launched on a request by the state
government to ferry people stranded in highly snow-hit areas
of Sonder, Dachin, Marwah and Nawapachin in the district since
The IAF had earlier rescued 2,188 passengers including
1,613 civilians between the two capital cities of Jammu and
Srinagar on January 21.
Popularly known as CONDORS, the 130 Helicopter Unit had
first launched a major air operation on January 9 to reach out
to snow-trapped people with essential supplies and medicines.
The choppers carried out several sorties in Reasi,
Gulabgarh, Ramban and other areas to ferry essential material
as well as the snow-trapped people.
The unit emerged as a lifeline for disaster-prone areas
of the Valley after the pivotal role played by it in rescuing
as many as 588 people during the "Operation Rahat" launched
after the devastating 2005 earthquake.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly