IAF to operate air sorties for passengers from Kargil
Jammu: The Indian Air Force (IAF) will undertake air sorties to carry passengers from Kargil district in the Ladakh region of the state to Srinagar and Jammu from December 01, authorities said on Wednesday.
Indian Air Force (IAF) aircraft AN-32 will also operate during winter months after Zojila Pass, the only surface link between Srinagar and the cold desert Ladakh region, closes.
Zojila Pass connects the Ladakh region with the rest of the country, and it gets blocked for five months because of heavy snowfall during the winter season.
The decision to start the courier service was taken here Wednesday at a meeting chaired by Qamar Ali Akhoon, advisor to the state chief minister.
The request for the service was made by the Ladakh autonomous hill development council (LAHDC) Kargil.
It was decided that the AN-32 courier service will operate from Srinagar to Kargil and back, three times in a week, on every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
The service will also operate from Jammu to Kargil and back once in a week on every Tuesday.
Also, given the heavy rush of passengers at Jammu, it was decided the government will discuss with the ministry of defence the operation of one additional sortie from Jammu to Kargil for people who get stranded due to the closure of Zojila Pass.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj