IAF to rescue people stranded in Jammu region
Jammu: As the weather cleared in mountainous regions of Jammu Wednesday, the Indian Air Force (IAF) began preparations to evacuate some 300 snow-trapped people in Kishtwar district, an official said.
According to a defence spokesman, villages like Sondar, Dachan, Marwah, Navapachi and Warwan have been cut off due to the recent heavy snowfall.
"These villages do not have road connectivity," the spokesman added.
He said the operation is being carried out by 130 Helicopter Unit of the IAF under the leadership of Wing Commander Anurag Kumar.
The Army and Air Force have been daily carrying out relief and rescue operations across Jammu and Kashmir which has been hit by heavy snowfall, rains and avalanches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...