If music is anti-Islam, how come Junoon performed in Jammu and Kashmir: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has accused separatist groups of double standards for opposing a concert in Srinagar by renowned conductor Zubin Mehta, saying no one protested when Pakistani band Junoon performed in the city.
"These (separatists) people are selective. This is not the first music concert in Kashmir. If music is anti-Islam, against the issue of Kashmir, how come Junoon came and performed here," he said.
"Nobody raised any voices on that ... Then there should have been a shutdown for Junoon also," he told reporters after reviewing arrangements for Mehta`s concert on Saturday at Shalimar Mughal Garden on the banks of Dal Lake.
Omar said the controversy about the concert has been blown out of proportion.
"We are obviously very selective in what we want to oppose and what we want to support. As far as I am concerned, this is a concert that is exposing the people of the state to this type of music and it also exposes the larger world to Jammu and Kashmir. This cannot be a bad thing," he added.
Separatists have opposed the holding of the concert in which Mehta will conduct the Bavarian State Orchestra, saying it will be used by Government of India to "cover up the human rights violations and weaken the Kashmir issue".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery