Illegal funds being used to foment terror: J&K Guv
Srinagar: Voicing concern over crime groups using illegal funds generated from smuggling, fake currency and hawala racket to fund terror activities, Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra Friday said awareness should be created among the people on the danger posed by it.
"Huge unlawful funds which accrue from smuggling, fake currency, black money and hawala transactions are utilised by organised crime groups and mafia networks to foster illegal trade in arms and drugs and fund terrorist activities, all of which generate serious security related problems worldwide," Vohra said yesterday.
Speaking at a seminar on `Curbing Counterfeiting and Smuggling? An Imperative for Indian Economy,` Vohra said, "These criminal offences adversely affect rights and interests of individuals, damage interests of growers, producers, manufacturers and traders, cause loss of revenue to the public exchequer, and pose a serious threat to the security of the state and the country.
He said Jammu and Kashmir is already faced with serious problem of terrorist networks being funded through circulation of fake Indian currency.
Noting that over 12 million tourists and pilgrims visiting the state every year make significant purchases, he said, "Even if a small percentage of visitors are cheated and sold spurious goods there would be damage to reputation of the state as the most attractive tourist destination".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter