Illegal funds being used to foment terror: J&K Guv
Srinagar: Voicing concern over crime groups using illegal funds generated from smuggling, fake currency and hawala racket to fund terror activities, Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra Friday said awareness should be created among the people on the danger posed by it.
"Huge unlawful funds which accrue from smuggling, fake currency, black money and hawala transactions are utilised by organised crime groups and mafia networks to foster illegal trade in arms and drugs and fund terrorist activities, all of which generate serious security related problems worldwide," Vohra said yesterday.
Speaking at a seminar on `Curbing Counterfeiting and Smuggling? An Imperative for Indian Economy,` Vohra said, "These criminal offences adversely affect rights and interests of individuals, damage interests of growers, producers, manufacturers and traders, cause loss of revenue to the public exchequer, and pose a serious threat to the security of the state and the country.
He said Jammu and Kashmir is already faced with serious problem of terrorist networks being funded through circulation of fake Indian currency.
Noting that over 12 million tourists and pilgrims visiting the state every year make significant purchases, he said, "Even if a small percentage of visitors are cheated and sold spurious goods there would be damage to reputation of the state as the most attractive tourist destination".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17