Implement interlocutors’ recommendations: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister
Omar Abdullah on Monday expressed hope that Centre will implement
the recommendations made by its team of interlocutors for
addressing the political issues of the Kashmir problem.
"We expect the Centre not to ignore the report to be
submitted by the interlocutors as has been done with several
reports (on Kashmir) in the past," Omar said in his
Independence Day speech at Bakshi Stadium here.
Omar said he was hopeful that the team of interlocutors
headed by veteran journalist Dileep Padgaonkar -- with
academician Radha Kumar and former information commissioner M
M Ansari as members -- will submit their report soon.
"We hope that they will submit the report soon so that
the issues of the state will be resolved in true sense," he
The Chief Minister said the dialogue was the only way to
resolve disputes and issues.
"I have said it many times that gun is solution to no
issue. If anytime we have come closer to resolution, it was
when the dialogue process was expedited," he said.
Omar said while New Delhi and Islamabad have resumed
dialogue process, the issues between Centre and state were
also being addressed simultaneously.
Underlining that peace and tranquillity were imperative
for development, the Chief Minister said he had asked for a
peaceful summer from the people to show results both on
development and political fronts.
"You have contributed in this direction positively during
this summer, and this government conducted successful
panchayat elections in the state to empower you," he said.
Omar said the peace dividends this year had trickled
down to the poor sections of the society as 5.5 lakh tourists
"The government does not earn anything from tourist
arrivals as we do not tax hotels or transporters. It is people
associated with tourism trade who have benefited," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video