India, Pakistan agree to release detained trucks
New Delhi: India and Pakistan on Wednesday agreed to release trucks detained in their respective territories, ending a three week standoff triggered by seizure of a truck in Jammu and Kashmir coming from across the border for allegedly carrying brown sugar worth Rs 100 crore.
The matter was taken by with the Pakistani authorities after the talks between administration of PoK and Deputy Commissioner of Baramulla failed to resolve it.
Finally, after intense negotiations between the two sides at diplomatic and other levels, the deadlock ended with an agreement that the detained trucks will cross back to their respective territories.
However, resumption of cross-LoC trade, which was suspended on January 17, remains uncertain.
On January 17, Jammu and Kashmir police arrested a truck driver from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) and seized his vehicle on the ground that it was ferrying contraband worth Rs 100 crore.
As many as 114 packets of brown sugar were recovered from the truck from PoK. The total weight of the seized contraband was around 100 kgs which is worth nearly Rs. 100 crore in the international market, Govind Ratan, Sub-Divisional Police Officer of Uri in North Kashmir had said.
Based on the interrogation of the driver, two more persons were arrested from Bandipore.
As the news about the arrest spread, authorities in PoK detained 27 Indian trucks along with their drivers and closed the gate thus preventing their own 48 PoK trucks to return.
The 48 trucks will also now return to PoK.
Indian officials had claimed that it had allowed these trucks to return but PoK authorities refused to take them back demanding that the seized truck, allegedly carrying narcotics, be also allowed to return.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'