Indian Army Chief visits J&K
Jammu: Indian Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on Friday visited the headquarters of the Northern Command at Udhampur, an official said.
This is Gen Singh`s first visit to Jammu and Kashmir after assuming the charge May 31.
Gen Singh had a detailed discussion on the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir with the senior Army commanders, particularly relating to the efforts aimed at checking the infiltration from across the border.
He was given a detailed briefing by Northern Command chief of the Indian Army, Lt Gen KT Parnaik, about the situation prevailing on the borders, and the concentration of militants at the launching pads across the Line of Control (LoC).
Gen Parnaik briefed Gen Singh about the efforts undertaken by the Indian Army to curb infiltration by combination of high technology, sensors and night vision devices, and the human resources by effective deployment of the troops to check the intrusions.
It was also revealed how Pakistan provided "cover fire" to infiltrators at the Indian posts in Poonch district.
Sources said that the Army chief was also keen to know about the presence of the militants in the hinterland and the steps being taken to neutralise them.
The issue of revoking the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) was also discussed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray