Indian Army Chief visits J&K
Jammu: Indian Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on Friday visited the headquarters of the Northern Command at Udhampur, an official said.
This is Gen Singh`s first visit to Jammu and Kashmir after assuming the charge May 31.
Gen Singh had a detailed discussion on the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir with the senior Army commanders, particularly relating to the efforts aimed at checking the infiltration from across the border.
He was given a detailed briefing by Northern Command chief of the Indian Army, Lt Gen KT Parnaik, about the situation prevailing on the borders, and the concentration of militants at the launching pads across the Line of Control (LoC).
Gen Parnaik briefed Gen Singh about the efforts undertaken by the Indian Army to curb infiltration by combination of high technology, sensors and night vision devices, and the human resources by effective deployment of the troops to check the intrusions.
It was also revealed how Pakistan provided "cover fire" to infiltrators at the Indian posts in Poonch district.
Sources said that the Army chief was also keen to know about the presence of the militants in the hinterland and the steps being taken to neutralise them.
The issue of revoking the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) was also discussed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister