Indian Army jawan killed in heavy firing by Pakistan on LoC
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
Srinagar: Heavy firing from Pakistan side along the Line of Control in Balakote sub-sector in Poonch district in Jammu and Kashmir was reported on Tuesday. One Indian Army jawan has been killed in the shelling, while six others have been injured.
Indian troops retaliated and heavy exchange of fire continued for several hours. The firing had started at 5.30 pm from across the border, a defence spokesman said tonight.
The jawan, who died after being hit by a mortar shell, was identified as Lance Naik MS Khan of 15 Bihar regiment, the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, Pakistani troops also fired at Indian positions without any provocation in Hamirpur area of the Mendhar sector of the LoC late on Monday evening, as per a defence spokesman. Colonel RK Palta was quoted by a news agency as saying that Pakistani troops had used small arms, automatics and mortars. He also said that the Indian troops had responded accordingly.
India and Pakistan had signed a bilateral ceasefire in November 2003. However, of late ceasefire violations by Pakistan have been on the rise. India conveyed its concerns to its neighbour regarding the same when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York last month.
Singh had told Sharif that proper talks between the two countries could only be held after the issues of terror and cross-border terrorism would be addressed by Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof