Indo-Pak talks: Poonch residents hopeful of positive outcome
Poonch: Residents of Poonch on Monday expressed confidence that the proposed Brigade Commander-level flag meeting between India and Pakistan would help ease tensions that has flared up after the ceasefire violations along the Line of Control (LoC).
Residents seeking the resumption of trade at the Chakkan da Bagh crossing point have pinned their hopes on the talks, which will also take place at the same venue.
"I believe that the decision by both governments to have a flag meet at Chakkan da Bagh has raised expectations of a positive result. For a long time now, trade at that post has been stopped. We are hoping that these talks will help ease tensions in the Army, and to cool down emotions raging within the public, and give us a positive outcome," Mahinder Pyasa, a resident.
Another resident, Satish Shasan, said that an escalation of hostilities would be detrimental for both the countries.
"I believe that this (flag meet) is a good step, because war will not yield any results. The progress that can be achieved through peace can never be achieved through conflict. But, I also want to say that what Pakistan did at Mendhar district was wrong," he said.
The meeting between the two sides will be held at Chakkan da Bagh this afternoon.
Two Indian jawans Lance Naik Hemraj and Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh were killed by infiltrating Pakistani soldiers in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir on January 08.
Their bodies were found mutilated, sparking a diplomatic face-off between India and Pakistan and tension along the Line of Control that separates the two countries.
Pakistan has denied India`s claim that its troops crossed the Line of Control to ambush a patrol party in the Mendhar sector in Poonch district.
Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) of cross-LoC trade and travel are also expected to come up for discussion during the flag meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days