Indo-Pak trade, bus services likely to resume from Monday
Jammu: The signs of business along the Line of Control (LoC) between the two sides of Jammu and Kashmir have started re-appearing, and the cross-border trade and travel would likely be resumed Monday, said an official source Sunday.
According to an civil administration official, the tensions have eased and the routine trade and travel between the two sides of Jammu and Kashmir, divided between India and Pakistan would likely be resumed from Monday.
This dramatic turn around came after the Indian and Pakistani armies exchanged sweets along the LoC Saturday as a mark of goodwill gesture on the occasion of India`s 64th Republic Day.
The cross-LoC trade and travel, which was described as one of the biggest confidence building measures, was suspended after the Jan 8 brutal killing of two Indian soldiers by the Pakistani troops.
Pakistan had refused to open the gates at Chakan-da-Bagh along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch district.
India-Pakistan relations took a hit after New Delhi accused Pakistani troops of brutally killing two Indian soldiers close to the LoC Dec 8 and beheading one of them. The chopped head was carried away.
Pakistan accused Indian troops of killing two Pakistani soldiers on two separate days.
In retaliation to the beheading and the mutilation of the other soldier, Prime Ministers Manmohan Singh declared that there can be no business as usual with Pakistan.
The Indian and Pakistani armies have been traditionally greeting each other on the winding LoC, which divides Jammu and Kashmir between the two countries, ever since a ceasefire came into effect in 2003.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know