`Infiltration attempts could increase ahead of J&K polls`
New Delhi: With Assembly polls scheduled in Jammu and Kashmir later this year, infiltration attempts from across the border are expected to increase, a top security official said Thursday.
"You would have seen that in the recent past a lot of infiltration attempts (in Jammu and Kashmir) have been thwarted but with the elections coming up later this year in that state you can only expect them to increase," NSG chief J N Choudhury said at a security conference here.
The National Security Guard (NSG) Director General also warned that India stands to face the challenge of big terrorist attack like incidents.
"The same terrorist forces that attacked our Parliament in 2001, they can be expected to do so in the future. The objective seems to be very clear. They want to attack our self-confidence, they want to make it clear to the world that India is not the investment destination that everyone thinks it is.
"The threat from Pak-based terror outfits like the Lashkar-e-Toiba, Harkat-ul-Mujahideen or the Indian Mujahideen (IM), which primarily works out of Karachi in Pakistan, is very real," the DG said at an event organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
He said the future terror attacks could be of the `black swan` variety.
"Though the security forces had been very successful in last many years as they have picked up many operatives (terrorist agents)...But incidents will not be frequent but they will be of the black swan variety-- an infrequent incident that has a huge impact on the nation.
"Responding to these threats is complex as they (terror masterminds) have a global footprint, their operations, financing etc. Are planned out of the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt