Infiltration bid foiled along LoC, JCO killed
Srinagar: A Junior Commissioned Officer was killed while a soldier was injured as Army on Saturday foiled an infiltration bid by militants in Macchil sector along the Line of Control in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district.
Troops of 56 Rashtriya Rifles noticed some suspicious movement of two to four persons along the LoC in Macchil sector at around 3.00 am and challenged them, an Army spokesman said here.
The militants, who were trying to sneak into the Valley from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, opened fire on the Army positions including on Dingeri Post, which was retaliated.
In the ensuing gunfight, a JCO identified as Arun Kumar was killed while a soldier Solanki Raju was injured.
The militants fled in view of the stiff challenge posed by the Army troops, the spokesman said.
The ultras left behind two assault rifles and some war-like stores before crossing back into PoK territory, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital