Infiltration bid foiled along LoC, JCO killed
Srinagar: A Junior Commissioned Officer was killed while a soldier was injured as Army on Saturday foiled an infiltration bid by militants in Macchil sector along the Line of Control in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district.
Troops of 56 Rashtriya Rifles noticed some suspicious movement of two to four persons along the LoC in Macchil sector at around 3.00 am and challenged them, an Army spokesman said here.
The militants, who were trying to sneak into the Valley from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, opened fire on the Army positions including on Dingeri Post, which was retaliated.
In the ensuing gunfight, a JCO identified as Arun Kumar was killed while a soldier Solanki Raju was injured.
The militants fled in view of the stiff challenge posed by the Army troops, the spokesman said.
The ultras left behind two assault rifles and some war-like stores before crossing back into PoK territory, he said.
- Volcanoes erupted beneath ice sheet on Mars billions of years ago
- Uttarakhand crisis: SC grants Centre time till May 6 to clear stand on holding floor test
- Meet Tommy Singh aka Shahid Kapoor in 'Chitta Ve' from 'Udta Punjab'—Watch!
- IIT-Bombay survey: 95% freshers never had sex, 75% have no problem with homosexuality
- WATCH: Ugly fight between Ravindra Jadeja, Suresh Raina during ODI match vs West Indies