Intense cold in Kashmir
Srinagar: Intense cold tightened its grip across Kashmir Valley as minimum temperatures plunged further with summer capital Srinagar witnessing the coldest night of the season at minus 4.3 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature recorded in Srinagar was down from minus 4.0 degrees Celsius recorded yesterday, making it the coldest night of the season so far, an official of the MET department told a news agency.
He said Kargil, in the frontier region of Ladakh, was the coldest recorded place in the state with a low of minus 16.2 degrees Celsius, while the nearby Leh town recorded a low of minus 14.2 degree Celsius, up from yesterday`s minus 16.0 degrees Celsius.
The famous skiing resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir, shivered at a minimum temperature of minus 10.2 degrees Celsius, 1.2 degrees down from yesterday`s 9 degree Celsius, he said.
The spokesman said Pahalgam hill resort in south Kashmir, which also serves as the base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra recorded a low of minus 7.0 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature recorded at Kokernag in south Kashmir was minus 5.4 degrees Celsius, followed by Qazigund, the gateway town of Kashmir on Srinagar-Jammu national highway, at minus 5.0 degrees Celsius and Kupwara in north Kashmir at minus 4.0 degree Celsius, the official said.
The MET Department has said the weather is likely to remain dry with clear night skies in the Valley for a few more days, which is likely to bring down the night temperatures by a few more points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened