Intense cold in Kashmir
Srinagar: Intense cold tightened its grip across Kashmir Valley as minimum temperatures plunged further with summer capital Srinagar witnessing the coldest night of the season at minus 4.3 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature recorded in Srinagar was down from minus 4.0 degrees Celsius recorded yesterday, making it the coldest night of the season so far, an official of the MET department told a news agency.
He said Kargil, in the frontier region of Ladakh, was the coldest recorded place in the state with a low of minus 16.2 degrees Celsius, while the nearby Leh town recorded a low of minus 14.2 degree Celsius, up from yesterday`s minus 16.0 degrees Celsius.
The famous skiing resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir, shivered at a minimum temperature of minus 10.2 degrees Celsius, 1.2 degrees down from yesterday`s 9 degree Celsius, he said.
The spokesman said Pahalgam hill resort in south Kashmir, which also serves as the base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra recorded a low of minus 7.0 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature recorded at Kokernag in south Kashmir was minus 5.4 degrees Celsius, followed by Qazigund, the gateway town of Kashmir on Srinagar-Jammu national highway, at minus 5.0 degrees Celsius and Kupwara in north Kashmir at minus 4.0 degree Celsius, the official said.
The MET Department has said the weather is likely to remain dry with clear night skies in the Valley for a few more days, which is likely to bring down the night temperatures by a few more points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach