Involve Kashmiris in Indo-Pak composite dialogue: Mirwaiz
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat Conference on Friday said bilateral talks between India and Pakistan cannot lead to resolution of Kashmir issue and asked the two countries to involve Kashmiris in the composite dialogue to make a headway on the issue.
"We reject bilateral talks between India and Pakistan to resolve Kashmir issue and want the two countries to involve Kashmiri leadership in the composite dialogue to make a headway in finding a solution," Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umer Farooq said at a public meeting at Chadoora, 16 km from here, in Budgam district.
Reacting to the statement of Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde seeking cooperation of separatists in maintaining peace in Kashmir, the Mirwaiz said, "We are more desirous of peace in the region but that dream can be fulfilled only when justice is done.
"Resolution of Kashmir issue is the precondition for peace," he said, adding the visit of lakhs of pilgrims and tourists to the Valley cannot be termed as peace.
Referring to the stand of the Centre on revocation of AFSPA, the Hurriyat chairman said, "The statement is unrealistic and against the ground realities.
"It is very unfortunate that New Delhi is not showing sincerity and seriousness in resolving Kashmir issue and in such a situation neither a conducive atmosphere could be created for dialogue nor improvement is expected in the situation," he said.
On re-election of Barack Obama as the US President for the second term, Mirwaiz said when he was first elected four years ago he talked about resolution of Kashmir issue.
"Despite lapse of four years, he did not demonstrate his willingness to see the resolution of the issue which is linked to peace and prosperity in the region," he said.
He said Hurriyat is desirous of such a solution to the Kashmir issue which is in accordance with the wishes and aspirations of the people of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened