J-K doctors` strike completes fortnight
Jammu: Heath care services across the state remained paralysed as the agitation by junior doctors`, demanding revision in their pay packages, entered the 15th day on Sunday.
As junior doctors remained away from their duties due
to indefinite strike called by Doctors Joint Action Committee
(DJAC), the medicare facilities in GMC hospital and associated
hospitals in several districts and sub-districts throughout
the state remained paralysed, health officials said.
The emergency services had also been affected although it
remained open and was being run by senior doctors, they said.
The doctors held demonstration within the GMC complex and
several leaders addressed the medicos and demanded immediate
fulfilment of their demands.
DJAC spokesman, Dr Neeraj Sharma told reporters that
protest would continue until the government accepts their
demands. Over 4,000 doctors are participating in the strike.
Commenting dismissal notice issued to 27 junior doctors
for remaining absent for their duties, Sharma said, "Over 300
doctors have already resigned enmass on October 12."
DJAC will continue their strike until government does
not give them assurance in writing that their all demands
would be met, Sharma said.
The state Health Ministry published advertisements in
local newspapers warning junior doctors to stop the agitation
immediately or face stern action.
Minister for Medical Education R S Chib asked the
doctors to shun the course of confrontation and resume their
duties so that people do not face any inconvenience.
The demand of the doctors includes implementation of
the 6th pay commission, one grade pay higher than 10+2
lecturers, BUMS, BAMS as recommended by S L Bhat committee,
change of pay band of doctors from pay band two to pay band
three and payment of arrears from January 2006 and time bond
promotions of doctors in 5,10,15 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video