J-K police busts inter-district gang of cheats
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Police on Saturday
claimed to have busted an inter-district gang, including some
women members, who were allegedly involved in cheating
people on the name of marriage.
"The gang of 11 persons including the kingpin of the gang
who were functioning in small independent modules and duping
people of their hard earned money on the name of marriages
have been arrested," a police spokesman said.
He said the gang was busted by police station Sumbal in
Bandipora district of North Kashmir after painstaking search
for more than a month.
These cheats were functioning in small independent
modules controlled by the kingpin Mohammad Ismail Hajam of
Panzinara village with identical modus-operandi, he said.
Narrating their modus operandi, he said cheats normally
stayed in a rented house with fake identity as brother-sister
or uncle-niece and would search for a financially sound party
who for some social reason is unable to get married.
"These cheats would woo the person for marriage by showing
him a young smart woman. Once the person agrees to enter into
the marriage agreement, they would ask for handsome amount as
security," he said.
The spokesman said the groom`s family would give a
handsome `Mehar` (security) in cash, gift and other gold items
to the bride. The bride would stay with groom at his house for
some days and than disappear.
By the time the groom and his relatives realize something
went wrong, the cheats already would have changed their rented
location and fake identity, he said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro