J-K police busts inter-district gang of cheats
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Police on Saturday
claimed to have busted an inter-district gang, including some
women members, who were allegedly involved in cheating
people on the name of marriage.
"The gang of 11 persons including the kingpin of the gang
who were functioning in small independent modules and duping
people of their hard earned money on the name of marriages
have been arrested," a police spokesman said.
He said the gang was busted by police station Sumbal in
Bandipora district of North Kashmir after painstaking search
for more than a month.
These cheats were functioning in small independent
modules controlled by the kingpin Mohammad Ismail Hajam of
Panzinara village with identical modus-operandi, he said.
Narrating their modus operandi, he said cheats normally
stayed in a rented house with fake identity as brother-sister
or uncle-niece and would search for a financially sound party
who for some social reason is unable to get married.
"These cheats would woo the person for marriage by showing
him a young smart woman. Once the person agrees to enter into
the marriage agreement, they would ask for handsome amount as
security," he said.
The spokesman said the groom`s family would give a
handsome `Mehar` (security) in cash, gift and other gold items
to the bride. The bride would stay with groom at his house for
some days and than disappear.
By the time the groom and his relatives realize something
went wrong, the cheats already would have changed their rented
location and fake identity, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog