Jamaat seeks Geelani`s clarification on biography
Srinagar: Jamaat-e-Islami on Tuesday sought
clarification from Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah
Geelani on the alleged maligning of the party in his
The decision comes a day after the Jamaat decided to
boycott meetings of the hardline faction of the Hurriyat
Conference headed by Geelani over the book.
The decision to serve a show cause notice to Geelani in
his capacity as basic member of Jamaat was taken at a meeting
of Majlis-e-shoora (Advisory Board), the highest
decision-making body of Jamaat, its spokesman Zahid Ali said.
He said the shoora after discussing the book titled
"Qaid-e-Inqalab - a History and Movement" took a serious note
of the activities of Geelani-led Tehreek-e-Hurriyat in taking
the book to the masses despite protest by Jammat.
Geelani is asked to respond within two months.
Jamaat had come down heavily on its author Shafi
Shariyati accusing him of "maligning" the party by dubbing it
as a "pro-Indian" political party.
Ali said the shoora also endorsed the decision of the
Jamaat to boycott all the meetings of Geelani-led Hurriyat.
The Jamaat had backed the faction after remaining
neutral for a few years in the wake of a split between
moderates and hardliners in September 2003.
Geelani, who was earlier head of political bureau of
Jamaat, was suspended after he floated his own party about two
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video