Jammu and Kashmir floods: Omar directs administration to safeguard lives
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday directed the administration to take all necessary measures to safeguard lives of people in the flood-hit areas of the state.
"Omar directed for energetic, extensive and most effective rescue plan for saving the human lives," an official spokesman said after the Chief Minister reviewed the prevailing flood situation in the State at a high level meeting at Police Control Room here.
Minister for Flood Control Sham Lal Sharma, Minister of State Nazir Ahmad Gurezi and senior officials from civil administration and police department attended the meeting, the spokesman said.
Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Rohit Kansal and Chief Engineer Irrigation and Flood Control Javaid Ahmad briefed the Chief Minister on the rescue and relief plan put in place to meet the exigencies arising due to flood threat and incessant rains.
The Chief Minister was given details of the arrangements made to ensure safety of people.
Deputy Commissioner Srinagar stated that about 50 boats have been dispatched to South Kashmir from Srinagar for evacuation of people in the flood submerged areas.
Another 100 boats are being procured for the purpose, the spokesman said.
The Deputy Commissioners of various districts have been asked to procure boats from their districts for keeping these available to the people in flood areas, the spokesman said.
He said the Indian Air Force has also been asked to keep air rescue plan in place for utilisation.
After holding the meeting, the Chief Minister visited various flood submerged areas in Srinagar city.
He visited Bones and Joints Hospital at Barzulla which is submerged under the flood water.
The Chief Minister interacted with patients and doctors and asked the administration to take all steps for ensuring safety of the inmates besides helping de-watering of the hospital area.
He examined the Jhelum Bund and the flood discharge in river Jhelum at various places including Ram Munshi Bagh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert