Jammu and Kashmir floods: Omar directs administration to safeguard lives
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday directed the administration to take all necessary measures to safeguard lives of people in the flood-hit areas of the state.
"Omar directed for energetic, extensive and most effective rescue plan for saving the human lives," an official spokesman said after the Chief Minister reviewed the prevailing flood situation in the State at a high level meeting at Police Control Room here.
Minister for Flood Control Sham Lal Sharma, Minister of State Nazir Ahmad Gurezi and senior officials from civil administration and police department attended the meeting, the spokesman said.
Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Rohit Kansal and Chief Engineer Irrigation and Flood Control Javaid Ahmad briefed the Chief Minister on the rescue and relief plan put in place to meet the exigencies arising due to flood threat and incessant rains.
The Chief Minister was given details of the arrangements made to ensure safety of people.
Deputy Commissioner Srinagar stated that about 50 boats have been dispatched to South Kashmir from Srinagar for evacuation of people in the flood submerged areas.
Another 100 boats are being procured for the purpose, the spokesman said.
The Deputy Commissioners of various districts have been asked to procure boats from their districts for keeping these available to the people in flood areas, the spokesman said.
He said the Indian Air Force has also been asked to keep air rescue plan in place for utilisation.
After holding the meeting, the Chief Minister visited various flood submerged areas in Srinagar city.
He visited Bones and Joints Hospital at Barzulla which is submerged under the flood water.
The Chief Minister interacted with patients and doctors and asked the administration to take all steps for ensuring safety of the inmates besides helping de-watering of the hospital area.
He examined the Jhelum Bund and the flood discharge in river Jhelum at various places including Ram Munshi Bagh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali