Jammu and Kashmir has 2,542 `protected people`
Jammu: In Jammu and Kashmir, the authorities say security is provided to only 2,542 people facing threats from militants.
An official reply to a Right to Information query said 2,542 people faced threats "and as such have been provided security cover".
It said a total of 4,074 security personnel provided security to these people.
It added that Rs 55.4 million worth of fuel was spent in 2012 on vehicles deployed with these 2,542 people.
Though the reply said that many families of those getting protection were also provided security, no details were offered.
A police officer insisted that these statistics didn`t make sense.
The official said on the condition of anonymity that there were over 1,000 people getting security cover in just two north Kashmir districts -- Kupwara and Baramulla.
"And we have 22 districts in Jammu and Kashmir," he said.
"Each cabinet minister moves with at least two security vehicles with at least two dozen security personnel... So, the number of protected persons and those giving protection is underplayed. The cost incurred on security too is not rightly reflected," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city