Jammu-based MLAs walk out of J&K Assembly
Srinagar: Several Jammu-based MLAs on friday staged a walkout from the legislative assembly to protest the alleged discrimination in the sanction of posts in the Higher Education department.
Balwant Mankotia of National Panthers` Party (NPP) raised the issue of alleged discrimination against Jammu region during the Question Hour.
He claimed that only 400 posts were sanctioned for Jammu region out of the total 1,129 posts of Assistant professors sanctioned for the state in the Higher Education department. Mankotia demanded parity between the Valley and Jammu regions.
However, Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone refused to entertain the plea saying the bogey of discrimination is raised from everywhere.
Mankotia was joined by his party colleagues Harsh Dev Singh, Yashpaul Kundal, BJP MLAs Ashok Khajuria, Jugal Kishore and independent MLA Ashwini Sharma in raising slogans against discrimination with Jammu region.
They later walked out of the house in protest.
Meanwhile, Independent MLA from Langate Sheikh Abdul Rashid also staged a walkout from the house after the government did not respond to his demand of immediate release of two youth booked under Public Safety Act (PSA) yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!