Jammu-Udhampur rail traffic disrupted for second day
New Delhi: Rail traffic between Jammu and Udhampur continued to remain affected on Wednesday after a portion of a tunnel was damaged due to falling boulders and garbage, with Railways seeking state government`s help to stop recurrence of such incident.
The mishap, yesterday, also led to the damage of tracks between Ramnagar and Manwal near Udhampur, forcing cancellation of services.
Traffic is expected to resume tomorrow.
Trackman Arvind Kumar Pandey, who was deployed for patrolling of the tunnel, noticed the falling garbage and boulders over the tunnel and immediately alerted driver of a passenger train coming from Udhampur towards Jammu Tawi.
"The track was disturbed due to sudden breakage of road above and about 1,200 cubic metre of garbage which was dumped near the road above," said a Northern Railway release today.
Officials said the landslide occurred due to continuous seepage and obstruction to flow of water by the dumped garbage along the road-side. About 20-metre of the tunnel was damaged.
Traffic has remained affected since 7.30 am yesterday following the incident and senior railway officers including principal chief engineer of Northern Railway and divisional railway manager of Firozepur are personally monitoring the restoration work, the statement said.
Officials said the road running above is also not safe for traffic and more garbage is expected to come down unless it is not cleared immediately.
They said deputy commissioner of Udhampuar has been requested by Northern Railway administration to take immediate action for stopping the dumping of garbage and removal of already dumped garbage to avoid recurrence of incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read