J&K: 82% voting in 2nd phase of Panchayat polls
Jammu: Undeterred by the killing of a woman
candidate by militants, people turned out in large numbers on Sunday to vote in Jammu Kashmir which recorded 82 percent polling in the second phase of Panchayat elections being held in the state after a gap of ten years.
"The elections were totally peaceful and people came
out in large numbers to elect their representatives. 82 percent polling was recorded in the second phase which was two
per cent more than the first," an official spokesman said.
The first phase of polling in the state had recorded
79.77 percent polling.
The 2nd phase of the 16-phased elections will decide the
fate of 275 Sarpanches and 2031 Panches in 8 blocks of the
state, he said.
The poll percentage was 85.00 percent in Kupwara,
86.95 percent in Baramulla, 85.46 percent in Ganderbal,
77.00 percent in Budgam, 81.48 per cent in Kulgam, 77.00 percent in Udhampur, 84.00 per cent in Samba and 83.40 percent
in Jammu adding up to a total of 82.10 percent in all these
blocks, he said.
The killing of a woman candidate in Budgam district of
Jammu and Kashmir on Friday seemed to have had no effect on
the enthusiasm of voters as they turned up in large numbers at
the booths to exercise their franchise, the spokesman said.
In the first political killing in Kashmir since the
Panchayat polls got underway on Wednesday, militants who have
given a boycott call, shot dead Hasina Begum (40), a Panch
candidate for the polls, in Chrar-e-Sharief area of Budgam
district on Friday.
Though the turnout was low due to heavy rain in the
morning it picked up momentum as the day wore on.
The polls are being held amidst heightened security
following the killing of the woman candidate by ultras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state