J&K; Annual Buddha Amarnath yatra begins
Jammu: The annual Buddha Amarnath yatra
commenced Tuesday as the first batch of 250 pilgrims left for the Himalayan shrine of Lord Shiva in border district of Poonch.
Escorted by security, 250 pilgrims including 56 women
and 10 children led by Baba Amarnath Niyas president Surinder
Aggrawal left in a cavalcade of vehicles from Jammu base camp
at Bagwati Nagar to Poonch district today.
The pilgrims were flagged off by the Divisional
Commissioner Pawan Kotwal from Yatri Niwas base camp.
Buddha Amarnath shrine of Lord Shiva is located in
picturesque mountainous belt of Mandi area near Indo-Pak
border in Poonch district.
The yatra will conclude on August 13th - the day of Sharvan Purnima (Raksha Bandhan day).
Kotwal said the yatra will give economic boost to the border belt of Rajouri and Poonch as pilgrims from various parts of the country come to Poonch Shrine.
"The yatra is increasing every year. Security measures have been put in place for trouble free yatra," he said.
He said the government is committed to give boost to
pilgrim tourism in the state and efforts are being made to
highlight various pilgrim places in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues