J&K: Army jawan killed in Kishtwar encounter
Jammu: An Army jawan was killed in a fierce gunbattle with militants in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Acting on a tip off about the presence of militants in Palmar area of Kishtwar district, troops of 17 Rashtriya Rifles and police launched a joint cordon and search operation in the area last night, police said today.
During the cordon operation, militants fired on the operation party, which fired back resulting in the encounter, which continued till late last night.
In the encounter, a jawan of Territorial Army identified as Noor Hussain was killed, they said.
A search operation is on in the area to track down the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price