J&K: Army jawan killed in Kishtwar encounter
Jammu: An Army jawan was killed in a fierce gunbattle with militants in Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Acting on a tip off about the presence of militants in Palmar area of Kishtwar district, troops of 17 Rashtriya Rifles and police launched a joint cordon and search operation in the area last night, police said today.
During the cordon operation, militants fired on the operation party, which fired back resulting in the encounter, which continued till late last night.
In the encounter, a jawan of Territorial Army identified as Noor Hussain was killed, they said.
A search operation is on in the area to track down the militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP