J&K Assembly defers discussion on VK Singh`s charges
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly on Saturday deferred till Monday the discussion on allegations levelled by former Army Chief General (Retd) V K Singh that politicians in the state were paid money by the army to get certain jobs done.
The decision was announced by Speaker Mubarak Gul after several MLAs from Jammu sought the postponement of the discussion in view of Navratras beginning on Saturday.
As soon as the House assembled, BJP MLA Ashok Khajuria pleaded that the discussion on the issue, which was listed for second sitting of the House today, be deferred till Monday.
Khajuria got support from opposition PDP members and CPI(M) MLA M Y Tarigami, who said religious sentiments of the concerned members should be respected.
Law Minister Mir Saifullah said the government had no objection if the Speaker deferred the discussions. The Speaker had yesterday announced the discussions on the allegations would be held today.
The issue was raised in the House by PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti, who said, "Our image has been maligned by his (Singh`s) allegations. I want to know when you are going to conduct the discussion."
A report in a national English daily last month claimed that a secret army intelligence unit, set up during Gen Singh`s tenure as the Chief of Army Staff, paid money to a Jammu and Kashmir minister to topple the Omar Abdullah-led government in 2010.
Gen (Retd) Singh has rejected the allegations that money was paid to topple the government of the day and later clarified that funds had been given to many ministers in the state right since Independence to get certain jobs done.
The ruling National Conference has demanded a CBI inquiry into the allegations. The ministers of the ruling party have also moved a privilege motion against the former Army Chief, which is pending before the Speaker for a ruling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical