J&K Assembly passes Property Transfer Bill
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Saturday
passed the Property Transfer Amendment Bill clearing decks for
leasing out land for construction of power projects for a
period of 40 years.
The House earlier during the day saw opposition PDP and
ruling Congress on the same page regarding some amendments to
the Bill moved by state Revenue Minister Raman Bhalla.
The objective of the Bill is to transfer the requisite
land on lease basis for 90 years in favour of Jammu and
Kashmir Chenab Valley Power Projects (Pvt Ltd) (JKCVPPL) for
construction, commissioning, maintenance and running of three
hydro-power projects -- Pakuldul, Keru and Kawar -- located on
Chenab river in erstwhile Doda district.
Leader of the Opposition, Mehbooba Mufti moved amendments
in the proposed bill that any agreement to be executed with
JKCVPPL shall be done in the name of Jammu and Kashmir Power
Development Corporation alone and with a lease period not
exceeding 35 years.
Almost similar amendments were moved by Congress` Ghulam
Ahmed Mir, Abdul Majid Wani, GM Saroori and MS Niaz that
Chenab Valley Power Projects Limited appearing in the proposed
Bill be replaced by J&K State Power Development Corporation
and the maximum period of the lease should not exceed 40
Opposing the Bill, Mehbooba said that "we have right on
our resources as we are the custodians of our resources."
"Although we want the resources to be tapped for our
benefits and also give fillip to the economy of the state, but
leasing out land for over 90 years and also creation of this
new JKCVPPL...we do not see any benefits as we have
experienced in the past that the state did not benefit by
leasing out the projects to NHPC," the PDP leader said.
"We do not need JKCVPPL as we have our state-owned Power
Development Corporation (PDC) best for this job," she said,
adding that the maximum time period for leasing out the land
should not be more than 35 years.
Similarly, Congress` Mir batted strongly for keeping the
lease period maximum up to 40 years as he said that the life
span of the most power stations is 35 years.
Mir said local MLAs and people of the area, which will be
affected by construction of power projects, should be made
stakeholders in this process and put on board.
The Revenue Minister, after a marathon discussion with
some members, agreed to the one of the Congress` amendment --
the maximum lease period will be 40 years only.
Bhalla further said that all the concerns of members
regarding employment to locals, local area development and
other checks and balances in the newly set up corporation will
The amendments brought by PDP members Mehbooba Mufti,
Nizam-ud-Din Bhat, Abdul Haq Khan, Choudhary Zulfikar Ali and
AR Veeri were rejected on the floor of House by voice-vote.
The Bill was passed after amendments introduced by
Congress` GA Mir, Wani, Saroori and Niaz were withdrawn after
the government assured them of looking into their demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday