J&K Assembly pays tributes to slain Panchayat members
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly, which met Monday on the first day of the 10-day autumn session, paid tributes to panchayat members killed by militants since the landmark elections were held last year.
The house also paid tributes to former speaker of the state Assembly Malik Mahiuddin, former MLC Sardar Piara Singh and former Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.
The House observed a two-minute silence as a mark of respect to the Panchayat members killed by militants and the former legislators.
Speaking on the obituary references made by Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah supported the proposal of leader of opposition Mehbooba Mufti for including the slain Panchayat members in the house resolution.
Several other members, including independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid, Congress MLA Mohammad Sharief Niaz, JMM MLA Ashwini Sharma and CPI(M) MLA M Y Tarigami also supported the inclusion of panchayat members in the resolution.
Omar requested the chair to include Deshmukh, who was a Union Minister at the time of his death, in the references.
The Speaker allowed the inclusion of panchayat members and Deskmukh.
Omar paid tribute to the slain panchayat members saying their only crime was that they wanted to serve the people and mitigate their problems.
"Whether they became victims of militancy or personal rivalry, we pay tribute to them," he said.
Omar said the state government and the ruling coalition has resolved to strengthen the panchayati raj system in the state to ensure its success.
Tarigami said the killing of panchayat members was a matter of concern and those indulging in bloodshed should realise that it does not solve any problems.
The speaker later adjourned the house for the day till Wednesday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months