J&K Assembly pays tributes to slain Panchayat members
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly, which met Monday on the first day of the 10-day autumn session, paid tributes to panchayat members killed by militants since the landmark elections were held last year.
The house also paid tributes to former speaker of the state Assembly Malik Mahiuddin, former MLC Sardar Piara Singh and former Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.
The House observed a two-minute silence as a mark of respect to the Panchayat members killed by militants and the former legislators.
Speaking on the obituary references made by Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah supported the proposal of leader of opposition Mehbooba Mufti for including the slain Panchayat members in the house resolution.
Several other members, including independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid, Congress MLA Mohammad Sharief Niaz, JMM MLA Ashwini Sharma and CPI(M) MLA M Y Tarigami also supported the inclusion of panchayat members in the resolution.
Omar requested the chair to include Deshmukh, who was a Union Minister at the time of his death, in the references.
The Speaker allowed the inclusion of panchayat members and Deskmukh.
Omar paid tribute to the slain panchayat members saying their only crime was that they wanted to serve the people and mitigate their problems.
"Whether they became victims of militancy or personal rivalry, we pay tribute to them," he said.
Omar said the state government and the ruling coalition has resolved to strengthen the panchayati raj system in the state to ensure its success.
Tarigami said the killing of panchayat members was a matter of concern and those indulging in bloodshed should realise that it does not solve any problems.
The speaker later adjourned the house for the day till Wednesday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery