J&K Assembly recommends removal of IAS officer for misbehaviour
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Wednesday
recommended removal of a senior bureaucrat from his post with
immediate effect for allegedly insulting a legislator.
"Taking congnisance of the privilege committee report, it
has been recommended to the House to attach the officer from
his post for his act," Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone told the
Assembly, which assembled for the day after a two-hour long
disruption of proceedings due to boycott by MLAs on the issue.
"The report is before the House. Now members have to
decide over it," he said, after which the report was adopted
unanimously by a voice vote.
"I recommend to the state government to take action on
the report adopted by the government calling for attachment
of the officer," the Speaker said.
Drawing attention of the Speaker in the House yesterday,
BJP member Lal Chand of Bani constituency had said, "I was
insulted and humiliated by Commissioner of Health Department
and senior IAS officer R K Jerath when I sought a meeting with
him to sort out an issue of his constituency...he told me to
get out and come later."
As soon as he finished, all MLAs in the house including
ruling NC and Congress members backed the BJP legislator and
demanded action against the erring officer in order to stop
recurrence of such incidents in future.
Earlier in the day, cutting across party lines, all MLAs
boycotted the Assembly proceedings even as ministers came to
the House and waited for the session to begin.
After marathon meetings between the government and the
members in the Speaker`s chamber, the House assembled for the
day at around 1200 hours.
According to the privilege committee report, the IAS
officer has admitted he had failed to identify the MLA and so
he tenders unconditional apology, Lone said.
"We came to the conclusion that officer was giving an
excuse so action needed to be taken against him. So it was
decided to recommend his attachment from the post," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...