J&K Assembly sends temple bill to Select Committee
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Friday sent the temple bill providing for better management, protection, administration and governance of Hindu shrines in the state to Select Committee of the House, amid opposition by some members who sought its passage in the original form.
The Kashmiri Hindu Shrines and Religious Places (Management and Regulation) Bill of 2009 was introduced in the House for passage by Minister for Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Mir Saifullah.
Commencing the discussion, Congress member Ashok Kumar welcomed the government`s initiative, but sought its sending to the Select Committee to address some of the "lacunae".
He was supported by National Conference members Peer Afaq, Javed Ahmed Dar and Mustafa Kamaal, who also demanded a re-look into the bill.
A group of members including M Y Tarigami of CPI(M), Ashwani Kumar Sharma of JSM and and Independent MLA Abdul Rashid, however, sought passage of the bill in its original form.
Tarigami rejected the notion of more study into the bill, stating that it is already delayed by four years.
Replying to the discussion, Saifullah said he is ready for sending the bill to the Select Committee, following which the same was then sent to the committee by Speaker Mubarak Gul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark