J&K Assembly sends temple bill to Select Committee
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Friday sent the temple bill providing for better management, protection, administration and governance of Hindu shrines in the state to Select Committee of the House, amid opposition by some members who sought its passage in the original form.
The Kashmiri Hindu Shrines and Religious Places (Management and Regulation) Bill of 2009 was introduced in the House for passage by Minister for Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Mir Saifullah.
Commencing the discussion, Congress member Ashok Kumar welcomed the government`s initiative, but sought its sending to the Select Committee to address some of the "lacunae".
He was supported by National Conference members Peer Afaq, Javed Ahmed Dar and Mustafa Kamaal, who also demanded a re-look into the bill.
A group of members including M Y Tarigami of CPI(M), Ashwani Kumar Sharma of JSM and and Independent MLA Abdul Rashid, however, sought passage of the bill in its original form.
Tarigami rejected the notion of more study into the bill, stating that it is already delayed by four years.
Replying to the discussion, Saifullah said he is ready for sending the bill to the Select Committee, following which the same was then sent to the committee by Speaker Mubarak Gul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened