J&K Assembly sends temple bill to Select Committee
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Friday sent the temple bill providing for better management, protection, administration and governance of Hindu shrines in the state to Select Committee of the House, amid opposition by some members who sought its passage in the original form.
The Kashmiri Hindu Shrines and Religious Places (Management and Regulation) Bill of 2009 was introduced in the House for passage by Minister for Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Mir Saifullah.
Commencing the discussion, Congress member Ashok Kumar welcomed the government`s initiative, but sought its sending to the Select Committee to address some of the "lacunae".
He was supported by National Conference members Peer Afaq, Javed Ahmed Dar and Mustafa Kamaal, who also demanded a re-look into the bill.
A group of members including M Y Tarigami of CPI(M), Ashwani Kumar Sharma of JSM and and Independent MLA Abdul Rashid, however, sought passage of the bill in its original form.
Tarigami rejected the notion of more study into the bill, stating that it is already delayed by four years.
Replying to the discussion, Saifullah said he is ready for sending the bill to the Select Committee, following which the same was then sent to the committee by Speaker Mubarak Gul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3