J&K attack: Omar meets family members of martyrs
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah met family members of the security personnel killed in Thursday`s twin militant attack in Jammu region and shared their grief, besides paying tribute to the martyrs.
The Chief Minister visited Hiranagar police station area, where five persons, including four policemen, were killed by militants, and laid wreaths on the bodies of martyrs.
Omar met family members of the deceased who had arrived at the police lines, and conveyed his sympathy.
Condemning the twin attack and terming them as cowardly and inhuman acts, Omar described the sacrifices of security personnel as the highest degree of commitment towards the country, symbolising bravery and patriotism.
Three heavily-armed militants dressed in army fatigues today stormed a police station and an army camp in Jammu region, killing eight people including a Lieutenent Colonel.
Four policemen were among the five killed in the audacious `fidayeen`(suicide) attack on the Hiranagar police station in Kathua, while three army personnel including Lt Col Bikramjeet Singh died in a similar strike shortly afterwards on the army camp at nearby Samba.
Earlier, the Chief Minister chaired a high-level meeting of police and civil administration and took stock of the situation after the attack.
Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, National Conference legislator Devender Singh Rana, Principal Secretary (Home) Suresh Kumar, DGP Ashok Prasad and various other senior officials accompanied the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city