J&K: Avalanche toll reaches 17
Srinagar: With the recovery of the body of
one more victim from Gurez sector, the toll on Friday rose to 17
in the avalanches in Kashmir Valley, officials said.
Gurez sector in Bandipora district alone accounted for 14
deaths. 13 personnel were rescued and an equal number of
bodies recovered yesterday after the avalanche hit the
workshop of 109 Infantry Brigade at Dawar on Wednesday,
burying 29 jawans under it.
While the body of one out of the three missing was found
today, search was on for the other two, the officials said.
Three other army jawans were killed in another avalanche
that hit an army camp in Sonamarg area of Central Kashmir the
Meanwhile, floral tributes were offered to the three
soldiers who were killed in the Sonamarg avalanche.
Meanwhile, Assembly Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone today
directed the government to take immediate measures to provide
relief to the next of kin of those killed and compensation to
His ruling came after members, including Chaman Lal
Gupta, Nazir Ahmed Gurezi and G M Saroori, raised the matter
in the House, which later observed silence as a mark of
respect to the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends