J&K: Avalanche toll reaches 17
Srinagar: With the recovery of the body of
one more victim from Gurez sector, the toll on Friday rose to 17
in the avalanches in Kashmir Valley, officials said.
Gurez sector in Bandipora district alone accounted for 14
deaths. 13 personnel were rescued and an equal number of
bodies recovered yesterday after the avalanche hit the
workshop of 109 Infantry Brigade at Dawar on Wednesday,
burying 29 jawans under it.
While the body of one out of the three missing was found
today, search was on for the other two, the officials said.
Three other army jawans were killed in another avalanche
that hit an army camp in Sonamarg area of Central Kashmir the
Meanwhile, floral tributes were offered to the three
soldiers who were killed in the Sonamarg avalanche.
Meanwhile, Assembly Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone today
directed the government to take immediate measures to provide
relief to the next of kin of those killed and compensation to
His ruling came after members, including Chaman Lal
Gupta, Nazir Ahmed Gurezi and G M Saroori, raised the matter
in the House, which later observed silence as a mark of
respect to the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued