J&K: BJP, JKNPP stage walkout over police action
Jammu: The Opposition BJP and JKNPP on Thursday staged a walkout in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly protesting against the alleged police crackdown on protesters in Rajouri.
They also demanded release of those arrested in connection with the violence in the town.
Jugal Kishore of BJP drew the attention of the House towards the cane-charge and tear gas shelling by the police on 300-odd people belonging to minority community protesting the arrest of 17 members in Rajouri today.
He claimed that even women were not spared by policemen, who resorted to violent means to curb the protest. Kishore and other BJP members sought a reply from the government on the issue.
JKNPP members Harshdev Singh and Balwant Singh Mankotia held the state government responsible for failing to control the situation in Rajouri. Later, both party leaders staged a walkout in the state Assembly.
Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone said that the government has given an elaborate reply on the issue and said the situation has returned to normal in Rajouri.
However, the curfew was today reimposed in the border district after six cops among seven people were injured in stone-pelting and cane charge.
Police as a precautionary measure had imposed curfew in the town on March 8 after some unidentified persons pelted stones at a religious procession, prompting security personnel to lob tear gas shells to disperse them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says