J&K: BJP, JKNPP stage walkout over police action
Jammu: The Opposition BJP and JKNPP on Thursday staged a walkout in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly protesting against the alleged police crackdown on protesters in Rajouri.
They also demanded release of those arrested in connection with the violence in the town.
Jugal Kishore of BJP drew the attention of the House towards the cane-charge and tear gas shelling by the police on 300-odd people belonging to minority community protesting the arrest of 17 members in Rajouri today.
He claimed that even women were not spared by policemen, who resorted to violent means to curb the protest. Kishore and other BJP members sought a reply from the government on the issue.
JKNPP members Harshdev Singh and Balwant Singh Mankotia held the state government responsible for failing to control the situation in Rajouri. Later, both party leaders staged a walkout in the state Assembly.
Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone said that the government has given an elaborate reply on the issue and said the situation has returned to normal in Rajouri.
However, the curfew was today reimposed in the border district after six cops among seven people were injured in stone-pelting and cane charge.
Police as a precautionary measure had imposed curfew in the town on March 8 after some unidentified persons pelted stones at a religious procession, prompting security personnel to lob tear gas shells to disperse them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp