J&K: BJP, JKNPP stage walkout over police action
Jammu: The Opposition BJP and JKNPP on Thursday staged a walkout in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly protesting against the alleged police crackdown on protesters in Rajouri.
They also demanded release of those arrested in connection with the violence in the town.
Jugal Kishore of BJP drew the attention of the House towards the cane-charge and tear gas shelling by the police on 300-odd people belonging to minority community protesting the arrest of 17 members in Rajouri today.
He claimed that even women were not spared by policemen, who resorted to violent means to curb the protest. Kishore and other BJP members sought a reply from the government on the issue.
JKNPP members Harshdev Singh and Balwant Singh Mankotia held the state government responsible for failing to control the situation in Rajouri. Later, both party leaders staged a walkout in the state Assembly.
Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone said that the government has given an elaborate reply on the issue and said the situation has returned to normal in Rajouri.
However, the curfew was today reimposed in the border district after six cops among seven people were injured in stone-pelting and cane charge.
Police as a precautionary measure had imposed curfew in the town on March 8 after some unidentified persons pelted stones at a religious procession, prompting security personnel to lob tear gas shells to disperse them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3