J&K blames `vested interests` for Panch killings
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government on Wednesday said "vested interests" were responsible for the recent killings of Sarpanches and Panches even as it said it is duty-bound to empower Panchayats in the state and has taken steps in this regard.
Speaking during the discussion on `Killing of Sarpanch and Panch` in the Legislative Council, Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Ali Mohammad Sagar said some people cannot accept that a successful election was held by the NC-led coalition government and are trying to derail the process of empowering people at the grassroots level.
Sagar said those Panchayat members who were killed were the supporters of National Conference and their killing would benefit a certain party.
"All the three who were killed were supporters of NC and their killing would benefit only those who represent such constituencies," he claimed.
This led to a heated exchange with Murtaza Khan of PDP.
The minster also informed the House that one Nisar Ahmad Ganai of Palhallan Pattan in Baramulla district has been arrested in connection with the killing of Sarpanch Ghulam Mohammad Yatoo.
The minister refuted the allegations of not empowering the Panchayati institutions in the state. The government is doing its best to take governance to the grassroots level, he told the House.
"We are for absolute empowerment of Panchayati institutions. Steps have been taken for their empowerment. We want to give them more powers and we have not left them after conducting a very successful election," Sagar said while responding to the issue raised by Khan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof