J&K colleges should be made centres of excellence: Vohra
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra on Thursday emphasised the need for improving gross enrolment ratio and making universities and colleges in the state as centres of excellence to enable the students to make a mark around the globe.
"There is a need for improving Gross Enrolment Ratio and making universities and colleges in the state as centres of excellence so that youth passing out from these institutions are able to take a lead in making a mark in varied spheres of human endeavours at the state, national and international levels," Vohra said at the 18th Convocation of the University of Kashmir here.
Referring to the University of Kashmir having been accredited as a grade A University by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council, the Governor, who is Chancellor of the University, observed that all the stakeholders need to work tirelessly so that at least 80 percent of the institutions of higher learning in the State secure A Grade categorisation from NAAC in the next few years.
Kashmir University had a very glorious history, having produced well known scholars who made a mark in various spheres, he said.
However, Vohra said due to the difficult situation in the past years, the University also suffered and lost on several fronts.
"Everything possible is being done since the past several years for the University to regain its position and it has again started doing very well," the Governor said.
Referring to the growth of institutions of higher learning in the state, he observed that J-K is lucky to have two agriculture universities, besides seven other varsities, including two central universities.
The Governor congratulated the students who were presented gold medals, certificates and cash awards by President Pranab Mukherjee on the occasion.
Vohra also presented a memento to the President.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal