J&K colleges should be made centres of excellence: Vohra
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra on Thursday emphasised the need for improving gross enrolment ratio and making universities and colleges in the state as centres of excellence to enable the students to make a mark around the globe.
"There is a need for improving Gross Enrolment Ratio and making universities and colleges in the state as centres of excellence so that youth passing out from these institutions are able to take a lead in making a mark in varied spheres of human endeavours at the state, national and international levels," Vohra said at the 18th Convocation of the University of Kashmir here.
Referring to the University of Kashmir having been accredited as a grade A University by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council, the Governor, who is Chancellor of the University, observed that all the stakeholders need to work tirelessly so that at least 80 percent of the institutions of higher learning in the State secure A Grade categorisation from NAAC in the next few years.
Kashmir University had a very glorious history, having produced well known scholars who made a mark in various spheres, he said.
However, Vohra said due to the difficult situation in the past years, the University also suffered and lost on several fronts.
"Everything possible is being done since the past several years for the University to regain its position and it has again started doing very well," the Governor said.
Referring to the growth of institutions of higher learning in the state, he observed that J-K is lucky to have two agriculture universities, besides seven other varsities, including two central universities.
The Governor congratulated the students who were presented gold medals, certificates and cash awards by President Pranab Mukherjee on the occasion.
Vohra also presented a memento to the President.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Ravana, the demon king is worshipped in these Indian temples
- 50,000 security personnel to guard last phase of West Bengal Assembly Election 2016
- As Donald Trump becomes presumptive nominee, China urges objectivity
- WATCH: On this day, destructive AB de Villiers smashed Dale Steyn for 23 runs in one over
- JD(U) member of Rajya Sabha raises issue of paucity of judges