J&K: Cong MP`s brother arrested for illegal mining
Kathua: Six people, including the brother of a Congress MP, were on Friday arrested for illegal mining in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
Sohan Singh, who is the brother of Lal Singh a Congress member of Parliament from Udhampur, was among the six arrested from Sahar Khad riverine belt in Kathua for illegal mining, a police spokesman said.
District Magistrate has already banned mining in river beds in several riverine areas of Kathua and the six held were found carrying out illegal mining within one-kilometre area of national highway and railway bridges, he said.
The five other arrested include Raman, Darshan Singh, Sunil Kumar, Jarinder Kumar and Surjit Singh -- all residents of Kathua district.
Sohan, however, was granted bail from the Chief Judicial Magistrate court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sri Lanka cricket board files complaint on Muttiah Muralitharan following training ground bust-up
- Why are Dalits asking permission from CM Shivraj Chouhan to end their lives? – Read
- CBDT issues draft norms for taxing buy back of unlisted shares
- Missing AN-32: Thorough probe will be conducted, says IAF chief
- Sovereign Gold Bond: NSE gets bids worth Rs 106 crore