J&K: Cop, three others held for senior`s killing
Jaipur: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested a police officer, along with three others, in connection with a mob burning alive a police station head in Rajasthan`s Sawai Madhopur district in March, officials said on Tuesday.
Phool Muhammad, the station house officer (SHO) of Mantown, was burnt alive by a mob after protests against police inaction in a murder case turned violent March 17. Sixteen policemen were also injured when the mob started pelting stones in Sawai Madhopur`s Surwal village, some 170 km from here.
Three area residents - Brahmanand Meena, Mukesh Mali and Shyam Lal - and assistant sub-inspector Sumer Singh were arrested Monday and presented in a court in Sawai Madhopur Tuesday. "They have been sent to three-day police custody," a police official said
The three residents were arrested for setting the SHO on fire, while the sub-inspector, who had been placed under suspension after the incident, was charged with negligence in carrying out his duty and provoking the mob, the official said.
The state government had announced a CBI probe in the matter.
"The special investigation team of Rajasthan police set up to probe the matter before the CBI took over the case had arrested 19 people. A first information report against 1,000 identified and unidentified people had been registered," said the official.
The people were protesting the failure of police to solve the murder of 65-year-old Dehta Devi, who was robbed and murdered Feb 9.
The violence took place after Rajesh Badolas, the state coordinator of Rajasthan Gramin Yuva Shakti Morcha, died after he set himself ablaze to protest police inaction in the murder and then jumped to death from a water tank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured