J&K custodial death: 2 cops sent to police remand
Srinagar: Two policemen, arrested in
connection with the custodial death of a youth in Sopore town
in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, were on Sunday sent to
five-day police remand by a local court.
Judicial magistrate Manzoor Ahmad Khan sent constables
Nissar Ahmad and Mohammad Abbas to police remand till August
12 following an application moved by the Special Investigation
The two policemen were arrested by the SIT last evening
in connection with the death of 28-year-old Nazim Rashid alias
Anjum in police custody on July 31.
The arrested personnel, along with a sub-inspector, had
been suspended soon after the death of Rashid.
A resident of Krankshiven locality in Sopore, Rashid
died in custody of Special Operations Group (SOG) after he was
picked up last week for questioning in a case.
A medical board was constituted by the district
magistrate of Baramulla while an autopsy was conducted on the
youth`s body. A murder case under section 302 of IPC was
This was the first custodial death in Kashmir since
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, while describing the
incident as a gross human rights violation, had promised swift
action against the guilty.
Omar had said he expected police to set an example of
those involved in the death of the youth so that incidents
like these do not recur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video