J&K custodial death: Inquiry an eye wash, says BJP
Jammu: BJP in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday
demanded a CBI probe into the alleged custodial death of a NC
worker, saying an inquiry by the state`s crime branch into the
incident would be just an "eye wash".
"We demand a CBI probe into cash-for-post scam and death
of NC worker Yousuf Mohammad. The state government should hand
over the case to CBI for an impartial probe," state BJP
president Shamsher Singh Manhas told reporters here.
Death of Yousuf has exposed the real face of Omar-led
government, he said adding that the incident has proved that
government is not only patronising corruption but is itself
steeped in corrupt practices.
"Yousuf was silenced fearing that his survival may result
into exposure of the National Conference," Manhas said, adding
that an "inquiry by state`s crime branch will only be an eye
The BJP leader accused the NC-Congress coalition of
playing mischief with the people by ordering investigation by
the Crime Branch.
"How can an impartial inquiry be expected when Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah is heading the Home department himself,
under whom the Crime Branch of Jammu and Kashmir police
directly functions", Manhas asked.
He also accused the state government of being involved in
a scam in which votes of BJP legislators were bought in
Council elections in April this year.
"Seven BJP MLAs voted for the coalition candidate by
cross-voting in LC polls on April 13. They did not vote for
BJP candidate and defied the whip. Allegation of giving money
for votes were leveled and BJP suspended 7 of them including
BJP Legislature Party leader Chaman Lal Gupta," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'